]
| small
| medium
large
Text Options: [

Home
About
Artists
Exhibitions : Current | Upcoming | Past
News : News | Press
Virtual Gallery Tour
Publications
Contact

This site is best viewed with flash!
Download flash here.
Interior 1 Interior 2 Interior 3 Interior 4


About ACA GALLERIES

The American Contemporary Art Gallery (ACA) was founded in 1932 by Herman Baron. As an artist co-operative gallery the charter members included Stuart Davis and Yasuo Kuniyoshi. At this time ACA was one of only three galleries in New York dedicated to showing American art. Over the decades the gallery's breadth and scope has expanded and now includes 19th century, Modern and Contemporary American and European painting, sculpture and photography.

ACA Gallery 57th Street
& Madison Ave NYC, 1946

Throughout the gallery's history ACA has presented over 800 exhibitions and published over 400 books and catalogues. The gallery also organizes traveling museum exhibitions nationally and abroad. For over 80 years ACA Galleries has advised private collectors and public institutions to strengthen their collections.

ACA's pioneering interest in progressive American art was established early on in exhibitions featuring, and often introducing, the work of Rockwell Kent, Alice Neel, Barnett Newman, Irene Rice Pereira, David Smith, and Charles White, among a myriad of others. In 1935, ACA hosted the inaugural meetings of the American Artists' Congress (AAC), the influential precursor to the Federal Art Project (FAP) and Works Project Administration (WPA), federal programs that aided American artists and funded public art projects throughout the depression. In 1944, in cooperation with Pablo Picasso, ACA organized a groundbreaking exhibit of Picasso's paintings, shown with the African sculptures that so deeply influenced him. In the 1960s, ACA Galleries established its first foreign branch in Rome, and the ACA Heritage Gallery in Los Angeles and New York City, signaling a vital foray into 19th and early 20th century American and European art. During the 1990s, ACA opened a gallery in Munich, and organized the first major exhibitions in Hong Kong of Andrew Wyeth and Jackson Pollock.

In 2001 ACA Galleries moved from the Fuller Building on 57th Street to its current location at 529 West 20th Street in the heart of Chelsea. In 2006 ACA presented the first major American and European exhibition in Dubai featuring over 80 masterpieces ranging from Brueghel to Warhol; the centerpiece was the Pearl Carpet of Baroda. Today, ACA Galleries continues to break new ground, representing twenty-five distinguished artists and estates, and presenting six exhibitions per year. The artistic and humanitarian mission of the gallery still endures, and ACA is committed to upholding this tradition by continuing to support artists from around the world, united in their commitment to make significant and brave contributions to the field.

For more information on ACA Galleries, additional images and upcoming events please contact the gallery.

ACA Resources